The most important of all these is selecting the right plot or the site. Vastu Shastra, therefore, has given the utmost importance to selection of a right plot and has set down several significant principles. There are some important factors that you should always consider while looking for a plot. Whenever possible one should always try to follow the Vastu principles as violation of these principles can destroy the happiness of one’s life.
Types of soil
Earth is classified according to its color like brick red, dark brown, black, yellow or mixed, according to its smell, texture and taste. Black and clayey soil is not good for construction.
- The soil white in color, having lotus smell, sweet taste and which contains greenery is considered very good.
- The soil red in color, smelling blood and astringent in taste is good but needs some attention.
- The soil yellow/pale green in color, grainish smell and sour taste is average and needs a lot of rectification before commencement of work.
- The soil black in color, having pungent small and bitter taste should be avoided as it is not auspicious for construction of the houses.
Location and buying
The location of the plot is very important as the surroundings affects us directly and indirectly. You must take care of the following things:
- One should not buy the land from people suffering from prolonged sickness or who have become insolvent, distressed or unfortunate people as the atmosphere of the particular space depends on the people living there.
- The soil of the land should not contain ant-hills, bones, skeletons.
- Old houses which are damaged due to fire, lighting, rain and storm etc., are not good.
- You should not buy the land which is sandwiched between two huge buildings.
- The plot at the T- junction should be avoided.
There are several factors which make a plot useable or non useable. The four directions, the shape, the existence of highways, cremation places, rivers, wells, places of worships, they all influence the VASTU of the place.
- There should not be any cemetery graveyard, tomb adjacent to the plot or in front or the back. If this is the condition, the people residing in that house will live in fear and will never have the peace of mind.
- A temple, church, mosque also should not be in front of any house otherwise the inmates will always be sick and mentally upset.
- Falling of shadows of the temples and trees nearby on the main building brings undesirable problems.
Facing of the plots are considered important but there is a wrong notion that North and East facing plots are better than South and West facing plots. This is not true, all the directions are equally important; it is up to us how much we follow the rules.
- The plot should be either square or rectangle in shape.
- Irregular shapes should be avoided or should be cured before construction.
- The site should be level or sloping towards North or east or North-East.
- Check and determine the directions of the site.
- Check the soil of the site as it plays a major role in forming the vibrations of that particular site.
- Try to get a personal feel and touch of the property to observe positive or negative vibrations at the site.
- Prepare a Vastu analysis chart indicating important aspects and grading of the plot and suggestions.